[Avc2020] New summer student research opportunities

Leigh Lamont llamont at upei.ca
Sat Dec 24 08:24:36 AST 2016

Dear DVM students,

We are very excited that there are a growing number of opportunities for
you in the summer of 2017 if you have an interest in working with an AVC
faculty member on a research project. We will be adding new opportunities
as we finalize details and placing them on the website. At the moment, we
have confirmed funding to support 12 students with a new award that we are
calling the *Veterinary Student Research Award (or VetSRA)*. This award is
for $4000 and will require another $1400 in matching funds from an AVC
faculty member to make up the $5400 required for a 12 week position. The
details will appear soon on the website. So that you can see the concept,
we are attaching the award description and the draft application. It will
be based on the student's application (not the faculty member) so it will
be up to you to identify a potential supervisor and then work out the
details with them of a suitable research project that will generate results
over the summer. We will have a presentation about these awards for
interested students early in the new semester, but we wanted you to be
aware sooner so that you can start to think about ideas to develop. The
deadline for proposals will be February 1, 2017.

There will also be a* summer research position* working with companion
animals at AVC funded by *Zoetis*. This will also be on the website soon
but is attached here to start you thinking of project ideas.

Lastly, don't forget that there is a *Sir James Dunn Animal Welfare Student
Research Award* for summer 2017. The SJDAWC at AVC provides internal
funding to support undergraduate veterinary students with interest in
animal welfare. $5,400 is available to support DVM student participation in
research consistent with the goals of the SJDAWC. Funded projects will
benefit animals (directly or indirectly), foster awareness about issues of
animal welfare, and encourage leadership among students. The project will
require a faculty supervisor and will be expected to generate a poster or
publication.

All information is at http://awc.upei.ca/sir-james-d
unn-animal-welfare-student-research-award *Deadline for students to apply
is Feb. 1, 2017*

The link for future reference of more summer research opportunities will be:
http://www.upei.ca/avc/dvm/current-students/summer-research-
and-leadership-program

Have a great holiday and we look forward to expanding research
opportunities next semester!

Larry

*Larry Hammell*

Interim Dean, UPEI School of Graduate Studies,
Associate Dean of Research, AVC
University of Prince Edward Island
o. 1-902-566-0728 <(902)%20566-0728>
m. 1-902-388-5111 <(902)%20388-5111>