[Avc2020] AVC Student Bulletin--February 3, 2017

AVC Student Bulletin avcstudentbulletin at upei.ca
Fri Feb 3 08:40:06 AST 2017

   -
*Grand Rounds on February 6 *
   -
*VHM 411 Seminar Series on February 8 *
   -
*Pet sitter needed February 18-25 *
   - *Broad Spectrum receives $10,000 grant *

*Grand Rounds on February 6*

Dr. Pan will present "Canine Hyperadrenocorticism," during Grand Rounds on
Monday, February 6, 2017, in Lecture Room C, at 8:30 a.m. All are welcome.

-30-

*VHM 411 Seminar Series on February 8*

Wednesday, Lecture Theatre A, 8:15 a.m.

Madonna Morrison: Carpal Valgus in Two Foals
Lisa Leachman: Acute Hepatitis in 2-year-old Alaskan Malamute

Vanessa Gerber: Traumatic cervical injury in a Rouen Duck

Kathleen Muckenhirn: Discospondylitis in a 7-yr-old Doberman

Everyone is welcome!

-30-

*Pet sitter needed February 18-25*
I am looking for a reliable person to come and house sit our pet cat and
feed a tank of fish while my husband and I are away for one week beginning
Saturday, February 18th, with return on Saturday, February 25th. You would
live in my house at 11 Villa Avenue, Brighton, for the week, and the duties
would only include the feeding of the fish once each day and taking care of
the cat: feeding, watering, cleaning the cat litter, and a little brushing
and playing. The cat's name is Samson. He is a totally indoor pure-bred
silver Maine Coon, almost three years old, and very friendly.

We acquired Samson four weeks before Christmas, and do not want to leave
him entirely alone for this week with someone coming only for a few minutes
each day to feed him and clean the litter box. Sam is only just settled
into our home, and is unused to being alone for entire days and nights.
There is no expectation that you would have to be here all day – in and out
is fine. However, we expect most evenings for the week would be spent here,
and at least a few hours during each day. We would prefer that you sleep
here, (Samson will likely join you if you wish!) but this is negotiable. We
would pay whatever the going rate for this type of pet-sitting requires,
and you would have a lovely, well equipped home to enjoy for the week, plus
a beautiful furry companion!

If you are interested, please call me at either 902-367-2850
<(902)%20367-2850> or 902-393-8820 <(902)%20393-8820> for details and
information. We would love to meet with you, have you meet Samson, and give
you any particulars you need for this week. Hoping to have many replies for
this cushy job by *Thursday, February 16th*!

Ann Francis

-30-

*Broad Spectrum receives $10,000 grant   *

The Broad Spectrum Veterinary Student Association received a $10,000 grant
from leading, animal health provider, *Merial* - now part of Boehringer
Ingelheim. The funding is part of a larger $25,000 grant to the Lesbian and
Gay Veterinary Medical Association (LGVMA) which will be used to support
their strategic plan for advocacy, wellness and *veterinary student
support *in 2017.

The student-run Broad Spectrum Veterinary Student Association will use
their "seed money" funding to support their national outreach efforts for
empowering LGBT veterinary student chapters and clubs at colleges of
veterinary medicine across North America. Each Broad Spectrum student
chapter or club, or groups with a similar mission inclusive of LGBT support
and advocacy, can apply to receive a $500 stipend towards their campus LGBT
advocacy and networking through November 1, 2017. Please contact
broadspectrumoutreach at gmail.com for a grant application and/or for
information on how to create a Broad Spectrum chapter at your veterinary
college campus.

*Broad Spectrum Veterinary Student Association envisions an inclusive
academic veterinary community, where sharing experiences and educational
opportunities inspire community engagement and equality so that LGBTQ
people and allies are able to contribute to and thrive within a diverse
veterinary profession and academic environment. *

*Call for Nominations: 2017 Broad Spectrum LGBT+ Awareness Award*

The national Broad Spectrum also is issuing a Call for Nominations for
their 2017 LGBT+ Awareness Awards. The award(s) is given out at the SAVMA
Symposium to faculty members, industry supporters or veterinary students
who go above and beyond to provide support and ensure inclusivity
regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity. The award(s) seek to
recognize those individuals who have demonstrated commitment to Broad
Spectrum's mission by developing awareness of the LGBT+ community and its
importance within the realm of veterinary education and practice.

Last year's recipients were Dean Deborah Kochevar of Cummings' School of
Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University, Dr. Suzie Kovacs of Western
University of Health Sciences College of Veterinary Medicine and Dr. Kenita
Rogers of Texas A & M College of veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences.

Please send nominations by March 15, 2017 to broadspectrumoutreach at gmail.com .
Please include a short bio and essay on why this individual is deserving of
this award. A follow up press release will be sent out to veterinary
academia.

*Call for Nominations: National Leadership Team*

The national Broad Spectrum Veterinary Student Association is now accepting
applications and nominations for the 2017 to 2019 leadership team. Terms
are for 1-2 years, and vacancies include vice president, secretary,
treasurer, Webmaster, fundraiser and public relations. Elections and the
Annual Meeting are held at the SAVMA Symposium each year. We also
participate at the Iverson Bell Symposiums. *Make your school and chapter
part of the national leadership team. *The volunteer job includes monthly
video meetings, mentorship and opportunity for leadership and fundraising
skill development. Send nominations to Broad Spectrum directly by March 15.

*Iverson Bell Symposium 2017*

Join the panel discussion on March 11 at the Iverson Bell Symposium
titled *Creating
a Climate of Inclusion for LGBT+ Colleagues* on your veterinary campus. The
panel discussion will feature Dean Debbie Kochevar (Cummings School of
Veterinary Medicine), Dr. Michael Chaddock (Michigan State University), Dr.
Kenita Rogers (Texas A & M University), Rhiannon Koehler (University of
Missouri) and Mike Dibler (University of Florida). *This event is sponsored
by VCA.*

*SAVMA Symposium 2017*

Please join us in College Station for the SAVMA Symposium and Broad
Spectrum Annual Meeting. There will be a Broad Spectrum-VOICE diversity
networking breakfast sponsored *by Hill's Pet Nutrition* on Thursday, March
16. That evening, there will be a LGVMA-Broad Spectrum networking social
event on Thursday, March 16 at 9 PM sponsored by *Zoetis*. Dr. Michael
Chaddock's will offer his keynote lecture *LGBT Wellness-Not the Same as
for Our Straight Brothers and Sisters* on Friday 17 which will be followed
by the Broad Spectrum Animal Meeting and Elections.

For more information or to join the Broad Spectrum VSA private Facebook
group, please contact Broad Spectrum at broadspectrumoutreach at gmail.com

Check www.lgvma.org or www.facebook.com/lgvma for updates.

-30-
--