[Avc2020] AVC Student Bulletin--January 6, 2017

AVC Student Bulletin avcstudentbulletin at upei.ca
Fri Jan 6 14:34:54 AST 2017

   - *Banfield visits AVC Jan. 10 and 11*
   - *VHM 411 Seminar Series*
   - *Tickets for AVC Winter Formal on sale*
   -

   *AVC Winter Webinars 2017: New Approaches to Old Diseases*

   *Feb. 21, Feb. 28, and Mar. 7, 2017*
   -

   *Message from Dean Greg Keefe*

*Banfield visits AVC!*

*Tuesday, Jan 10th:*
Lunch Lecture on "Why keeping track of your catheters will keep your waller
full" in conjunction with the Business Club (12:30-1:20PM) Lecture Rm. A
Senior Interviews (8AM-8PM, with 30 min slots)

*Wednesday, Jan 11th:*
Senior Interviews (8AM-8PM, with 30 min slots)

4th years (Canadian and American!), sign up for an interview with Banfield
at:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e6MnA_4B99p8ljYAa-_
uL5WaWZHxAQSldSmZRsdbvK0/edit?usp=sharing

-30-

*VHM 411 Seminar Series*

*Wed., Jan 11, Lecture Theatre **A, **8:30 a.m.*

*Cassandra Mellish: *Right Sided Heart Failure in Cocker Spaniel

*Wilson Chung: T*etralogy of Fallot: A Four-Part Harmony of Hypoxemia

*Gillian Breau: *Uveitis in a Belgian Warmblood

Everyone is welcome!

-30-

*Tickets for AVC Winter Formal on sale*

AVC Winter Formal is taking place at the Wave on Friday, January 13th from
9pm-1am! Tickets are on sale at lunch by the class of 2020 mailboxes, they
are $10 in advance or $15 at the door. E transfers are also being accepted
and can be sent to avc.2020 at hotmail.com with the password set as "ticket".
Guests are welcome!

-30-

*AVC Winter Webinars 2017: New Approaches to Old Diseases*

*Feb. 21, Feb. 28, and Mar. 7, 2017*

The Sir James Dunn Animal Welfare Centre at the Atlantic Veterinary College
warmly invites veterinarians, veterinary technicians, and veterinary and
AHT students to join us for this year's winter webinar series. Dr. Caroline
Hewson
<http://awc.upei.ca/files/awc/Dr.%20Caroline%20Hewson%20for%20website.pdf>
and Dr. Christine Savidge <http://www.upei.ca/avc/christine-savidge> will
review some core communication tools for discussing terminal diagnoses with
clients, before focusing on practical strategies, including  from human
medicine, that offer busy veterinary teams a new framework for handling
severe and chronic disease in patients of all ages.

This framework will make it easier:
1.* For You*, to discuss terminal diagnoses and prognoses with different
clients
2. *For Your Clients*, to comply with the care plan and have more peace of
mind during clinical crises
3. *For Your Renal and Other Chronically Ill or Elderly Patients* to have
“a life worth living,” and not just a prescription list
4. *For You & Your Clients* to prepare for and then identify when
euthanasia is in the animal’s best interests.

*All information is **at www.upei.ca/awc <http://www.upei.ca/awc> . Early
bird registration deadline is Feb. 1. There is no cost for students.*

-30-

*Message from Dean Greg Keefe*

2016 has been a year of positive change for the College.

Our leadership team has worked together to develop a working draft of our
strategic plan, which will be fully elaborated in the New Year. Together,
we have created a positive financial environment as the AVC moves into
2017. This environment will help us to make strategic investments in skills
development and wellness, infrastructure and technology, and personnel.

I am very pleased to announce that this week the UPEI Board of Governors
has fast-tracked approval of three new faculty appointments in Equine
Ambulatory, Clinical Pathology, and Small Animal Internal Medicine. All of
these individuals will be here by late winter or spring and will join
recently appointed clinicians (Dr. Mike West) in Community Practice and
(Dr. Jim Dundas) Small Animal Surgery. This marks the first time in many
years that we will have a full complement of surgeons in the VTH. In all
cases, despite limitations on starting salaries, we were able to recruit
the top candidate from each search. Candidates are very interested in the
positive work environment and collegial atmosphere that we offer. Thanks to
all who participated in the recruitment efforts.

And we are not done recruiting. Dean’s Council reviewed proposals in
December for 24 positions College-wide as part of our biannual assessment.
We are only able to move on a limited number at this time, but we will
reexamine the others as our budget situation becomes clearer through the
winter. Early in the New Year, we will move forward with an additional
float technician for the VTH, a tenure-track anatomic pathologist, a
tenure-track large animal medicine faculty member, a tenure-track
electro-physiologist, and a tenure-track dermatologist. These are in
addition to our open positions in Wildlife Pathology (2) and Radiology (2).
Radiology is a particularly difficult specialty to fill, and many North
American colleges are struggling to fill open positions at the moment. For
all of these positions, the same positive hospitable approach and collegial
spirit in recruiting will be key to attracting the right candidates.

We are working on infrastructure and equipment upgrades. The lecture
theatre renovations have been well received by students and faculty. We
have addressed some chronic issues with the building envelop and other
potential areas of water damage risk, particularly in areas of high-value
equipment. In addition to the molecular diagnostics and equine medicine and
surgery upgrades earlier in the year, we recently moved forward with a
substantial purchase in support of our toxicology service, based on strong
potential for growth in that area.

The accreditation preparation team has been hard at work for several months
now. Under their guidance, we are evaluating upgrades needed for our large
animal isolation facilities, among other infrastructure projects, and are
awaiting recommendations from engineers and architects. I will provide the
College with a full update on accreditation preparations in the winter.

Dr. Larry Hammell has recently been named the Interim Dean of the new UPEI
School of Graduate Studies. Larry will retain his role as an Associate Dean
at AVC during this interim appointment. During the period when Larry will
be serving this dual role, Dr. Spencer Greenwood has agreed to lead the
graduate studies component of the portfolio. Thank you, Spencer!

Finally, you should receive an email shortly outlining an exciting new
initiative to support DVM student engagement in research. This program,
spearheaded by Dr. Hammell with the support of the Graduate Studies and
Research Committee, will create a dozen new research scholarships for DVM
students engaging in summer research placements.  When combined with
recently announced funding from the SJDAWC and Zoetis, as well as other
projects we are developing, we hope to have 20 additional summer research
positions for students in 2017!

Through the efforts of our students, staff, and faculty, the College has
moved in a very positive direction in 2016. We have built the foundation
for even greater things in 2017. To each of you, thank you for your
exceptional contribution.

Best wishes for a restful and rejuvenating holiday season to all members of
the Atlantic Veterinary College community!

Greg

Greg Keefe, DVM MSc MBA
Dean
Atlantic Veterinary College, University of Prince Edward Island
550 University Ave
Charlottetown PE CANADA

--
Anna MacDonald