[Avc2020] Update from Dean Keefe - March 3, 2017

Melita MacDougall mmacdougall at upei.ca
Fri Mar 3 13:51:11 AST 2017

AVC Faculty, Staff and Students:

This week is my second year anniversary as Dean! With the advice and
support of Dean’s Council and other faculty and staff, we have made a great
deal of progress. The College is on a path of rejuvenation and growth
moving forward. This has definitely been a team effort, and I want to thank
all those who have contributed to this success.

Our new strategic plan is being formatted for printing. Even before the ink
is dry, I would like to take some actions to move us in the direction set
during that process.

Two focus areas in the Teaching, Learning, and Student Success pillar
include *Support the pursuit of teaching excellence at AVC *and *Promote
continuous curricular and teaching improvements within AVC programming. *To
spearhead the process of pedagogical support, Dr. Sue Dawson will
switch her focus from curriculum and outcomes assessment to take on the
role of Director of Instructional Design and Teaching Innovation. In that
role, Dr. Dawson will develop and support a professional learning community
for faculty through face-to-face events and on-line teaching advice
modules. I thank Dr. Dawson for her interest in taking on this new
challenge.

Another focus that is highlighted in the Teaching, Learning, and Student
Success and AVC’s Vibrant Community pillars is wellness. Dr. Tammy Muirhead
has been the Chair of the Wellness Committee for some time. To acknowledge
the tremendous importance of this topic and the incredible work Dr.
Muirhead has done in this area, she will be named Director of Wellness
Programming. In 2016-17, we increased the budget for wellness programming,
including support of our new student peer helper program. We are planning
for additional support for this critical area. I have every confidence that
Dr. Muirhead will advance wellness programs for all members of the AVC
community.

Dr. Dan Hurnik has been a key advisor for me since his term as Interim
Dean. On an ad hoc basis, he has been overseeing administration in the
aquatics facility, which after many years of delay is now running at near
full capacity. Dr. Hurnik will be named Director of Animal Resources to
recognize his role in this area. Historically, since the time when there
was a full-time director, this role has been the responsibility of the
Associate Dean of Graduate Studies and Research. In the review of the
responsibilities of the ADGSR, prior to recruiting for this position, the
review committee suggested that this role be assigned elsewhere, leaving it
orphaned. Dr. Hurnik will be a strong voice for Animal Resources within the
administrative structure. I thank him for taking on these extra
responsibilities.

Finally, as announced previously, we are very fortunate to have Dr. Spencer
Greenwood take on the role of Director of Graduate Studies for AVC on an
interim basis, while Dr. Hammell is serving as both UPEI Dean of Graduate
Studies and AVC ADGSR.

Much of this organizational change recognizes past contributions of these
exceptional members of our community. These moves allow us to highlight and
support key areas without growing central administrative costs at the
expense of academic programming.

There are many other exciting things happening! AVC is investing in
physical and information technology upgrades. Among other significant
investments to enhance our physical environment, we are investing in a
major renovation to the large animal isolation facility, which will take
place this spring. Substantial technology upgrades have taken place with
the University’s enterprise management system and the hospital’s electronic
medical records system. In the next fiscal year, we will install a Cubex
inventory management system in the VTH to standardize systems for
management of medications, high value inventory, and controlled substances.
The University is upgrading security in buildings across campus with a new
electronic access control system. This system will allow more controlled
access for broader sections of the building with an individual’s regular
identification card, replacing the current grey cards.

I want to thank the curriculum committee and particularly Dr. Leigh Lamont
for their hard work in preparation for our recent faculty vote on the
preclinical curriculum renewal. This and the infrastructure upgrades are
components of our accreditation readiness process. Our core team have been
working since last summer on preparations. In the spring, a draft of the
self-study document will be circulated for input from the AVC community. *I
will host Town Hall meetings in Lecture Theatre "A" at 12:30 on March 13
and 15 for students and faculty/staff, respectively, to outline the
standards and answer any questions from the community. *

Before Christmas, I was able to announce approval for new hires in
pathology, health management, companion animals, biomedical sciences, and
the veterinary teaching hospital. At that time, I indicated to Dean’s
Council that we would look at additional hires as the 2017-18 budget
picture became clearer. As a result of implementing the plan from 2016, as
well as the great work of the staff in our revenue generating service
units, we are able to move forward with additional support for diagnostics,
the hospital, and a second cardiologist position.

My first two years as Dean have been a wonderful challenge. Again, I would
like to thank all of you for your contributions to the success of AVC!

Greg

Greg Keefe, DVM MSc MBA
Dean
Atlantic Veterinary College, University of Prince Edward Island
550 University Ave
Charlottetown PE CANADA

*The Atlantic Veterinary College at the University of Prince Edward Island
is committed to improving the health and well-being of animals and humans
through excellence in education, discovery, professional practice and
dedicated service to Atlantic Canada, the nation and the world.*