[Avc2020] Fwd: E-mail for first and second year students

Heather MacSwain hmacswain at upei.ca
Wed Mar 8 08:11:24 AST 2017

Hi Everyone:

I am the supervisor for a grant project called the AVC Humane Dog Training
Program. I haven't had the opportunity to meet many of you - particularly
the first year class - as I'm currently on maternity leave, but I am one of
the Community Practice Veterinarians. Each year, I hire 4 vet students to
work with the dogs at the PEI Humane Society. This work mainly consists of
performing behavioural assessments to determine adoptability, and providing
enrichment and basic training while dogs are at the shelter. During the
school year, student trainers meet weekly with me and with shelter staff to
discuss new strategies for enrichment, cases that may require behavioural
modification, results of behavioural assessments, etc. It is rewarding work
that has had significant positive impacts on shelter dogs, ranging from
improving animal welfare in the shelter to increasing retention in homes.
These positions were advertised over the month of February, however due to
very low numbers of applicants for 3 of the positions, I am reopening these
competitions until March 17th (next Friday). These positions are for
part-time work during the 2017-2018 school year, which consists of 5 or 6
hour work weeks beginning at the end of August and continuing through
April. This is a great opportunity to learn more about animal behaviour and
welfare, while benefiting your community and making some extra money. The
schedule is not too taxing, and we are flexible around exam times. Please
consider applying, and if you have any questions, e-mail me at
dracarey at gmail.com. You can find the job ads and instructions for
application at www.upei.ca/hr under "Employment Opportunities".

Thank you,

Dr. Anne Marie Carey