[Avc2020] Fwd: New summer student research opportunities

Darlene Wakelin dwakelin at upei.ca
Thu Nov 30 14:18:57 AST 2017

> Dear DVM students,
>
> We are very excited that there are a number of opportunities for you in
> the summer of 201
> ​8
>  if you have an interest in working with an AVC faculty member on a
> research project. We will be adding new opportunities as we finalize
> details and placing them on the website. At the moment, we have confirmed
> funding to support
> ​11
>  students
> ​​for our
> *Veterinary Student Research Award (or VetSRA)*. This award is for $4
> ​3
> 00 and will require another $1
> ​7
> 00 in matching funds from an AVC faculty member to make up the $
> ​60
> 00 required for a 12 week position. The details will appear soon on the
> website. So that you can see the concept, we are attaching the award
> description
> ​ and draft application.
>  It will be based on the student's application (not the faculty member) so
> it will be up to you to identify a potential supervisor and then work out
> the details with them of a suitable research project that will generate
> results over the summer. We will have a presentation about these awards for
> interested students early in the new semester, but we wanted you to be
> aware sooner so that you can start to think about ideas to develop. The
> deadline for proposals will be February 1, 201
> ​8
> .
>
> There may be other sponsored research opportunities arising. These will be
> listed on the website as we confirm them.
>
> Lastly, there is a *Sir James Dunn Animal Welfare Student Research Award* for
> summer 201
> ​8
> . The SJDAWC at AVC provides internal funding to support undergraduate
> veterinary students with interest in animal welfare. $
> ​6,
> ​5
> 0
> 0
> ​i​
> s available to support DVM student participation in research consistent
> with the goals of the SJDAWC. Funded projects will benefit animals
> (directly or indirectly), foster awareness about issues of animal welfare,
> and encourage leadership among students. The project will require a faculty
> supervisor and will be expected to generate a poster or publication.
>
> All information is at  http://awc.upei.ca/student-activities/   *Deadline
> for students to apply is Feb. 1, 201**​**​8*

If the topic is applicable, students are encouraged to apply for
>> ​both
> ​ ​
> VetSRA
>> and SJDAWC
>> , but will only be eligible to receive one award. For example, SJDAWC is
> only welfare but VetSRA is any research topic so welfare topics may be
> applicable to both but non-welfare topics would only be applicable to VetSRA
> ​.​
>
> ​N​
> otifications will be coming ou
> ​t
> in the new year ​for another university based research award called
> NSERC- Undergraduate Summer Research Award (USRA). Students interested in
> applying for the NSERC-USRA  are encouraged to consult with Leslie Cudmore (
> lcudmore at upei.ca) or the AVC GSR office about the application process.

​The link for future reference of more summer research opportunities will
be:

​http://www.upei.ca/avc/dvm/extracurricular/summer-research-and-leadership-
program

The website will be updated for 2018 soon but if you have any questions in
the mean time, please contact me Darlene Wakelin (dwakelin at upei.ca).

​W
e look forward to expanding research opportunities next semester!

Larry

*Larry Hammell*

Dean (Interim), UPEI School of Graduate Studies,
Associate Dean, AVC Grad Studies & Research,
University of Prince Edward Island
SGS 1-902-620-5111 <(902)%20620-5111>
AVC 1-902-566-0728 <(902)%20566-0728>
m. 1-902-388-5111 <(902)%20388-5111>