[Avc2021] AVC Animal Welfare/Behavior Journal Club

AVC Animal Welfare Club avcanimalwelfare at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 19:22:29 AST 2017

Hi everyone

The SJDAWC and the Animal Welfare Club are starting a journal club.
Everyone is welcome!
We will meet once a month (starting January 19, 2018) to discuss articles
in the areas of:

*animal welfare science
* animal ethics
*animal behaviour
* anesthesia and analgesia

*At this point we are making an e-mail list of everyone who is interested.
Please respond to acrook at upei.ca
<https://webmail.networksolutionsemail.com/edgedesk/cgi-bin/compose.exe?id=0127e754ec8ceada933aee671ea501aaae21&new=&xsl=compose.xsl&to=acrook@upei.ca>
or jdamico at upei.ca
<https://webmail.networksolutionsemail.com/edgedesk/cgi-bin/compose.exe?id=0127e754ec8ceada933aee671ea501aaae21&new=&xsl=compose.xsl&to=jdamico@upei.ca>
to be on the list for future information. *

*Here is the plan*

* Meet at lunch hour (12:30- 1:20) the third Friday of the month,
starting *January
19*.(room TBD)

* Anyone can sign up for the e-mail list. You will  then receive an e-mail
notice of the upcoming article for discussion about a week before the
journal club meets, in which we will tell you who will be presenting the
article, the citation of the article, a link to download it, and the
abstract (so people can decide if they would like to attend and/or download
the full article via UPEI paid access). This is better than attaching the
pdf to the e-mail, for copyright reasons.)

* One article will be presented per session (rotating presenters). The
person who has chosen the article will submit it to Alice Crook a week
ahead of time so attendees will have the opportunity to read the article
before the meeting, but presenters should be aware that not everyone will
have had time to read it and should address this in their presentation of
the article i.e. begin with a background to the study before the critique

* The first 20 minutes  or so will be the person who has chosen it taking
us through the background to it (and why they chose it – why they think we
should know about it) and the study itself (with critique). The next 15/20
minutes will be a group discussion around the subject invoked by the
article. e.g. what can we learn from it? What can we do better? Critical
appraisal is encouraged.

Looking forward to lots of interesting discussions!

Alice & Jessica

--
Alice Crook, BSc, DVM
Adjunct Professor, Department of Health Management
<https://webmail.networksolutionsemail.com/edgedesk/cgi-bin/inbox.exe?id=0127e754ec8ceada933aee671ea501aaae21&cache=HVB9DTYIegIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ-D6Sz8tQaDatxDdAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZVZZZZZMZ2ZZZZZZuhOXUZZZZZZDCRZZRZYZZZiZZZZDSRZZZ;;&fld=HF6Xg,U;&open=8785#>

--
Jessica D'Amico, BSc.
DVM Candidate 2020, Atlantic Veterinary College
E-Mail: jdamico at upei.ca