[Avc2021] AVC Student Bulletin November 24, 2017

AVC Student Bulletin avcstudentbulletin at upei.ca
Fri Nov 24 15:50:50 AST 2017

   - A Note of Appreciation
   - Amazing Small Animal Veterinary Dentistry Opportunity for Students
   - CVMA Symposium at AVC - Looking for Volunteer Billets
   - Pancake Breakfast - Wednesday, November 29th (8:00 - 10:00 am)

*A Note of Appreciation:*

*AVC Faculty, Staff and Students:*

Dear Colleagues,

I am extremely grateful to the many students, staff, and faculty who
participated in the recent VTH client appreciation event and the
international recruitment/interview day.

The client appreciation event was a huge success. This is an important
opportunity for the College to say thank you to the community of animal
owners who support our teaching programs through engagement with our
in-hospital and ambulatory care programs. Without these people, we would
not be able to provide the excellent teaching program that we have. The
behind-the-scenes VTH tours, facilitated by the DVM students, were a
particular hit this year. Thank you to everyone who participated. For those
engaged with VTH clients, who have not been able to attend, keep an eye out
for next year’s date. It really is a wonderful evening.

On Saturday past, we held our international interview day. The day was
extremely well organized by Dr. Leigh Lamont with support from staff in her
office (Lisa Heron, Karen Roche, and Heather MacSwain) and the AVC Dean’s
Office (Janice MacWilliam). I am grateful to the members of the Admissions
Committee for participating in the process on the weekend. The stars of the
day were definitely the student volunteers who spoke so eloquently of their
passion for veterinary medicine and AVC as they hosted their cohort of
applicants and their support people. The day has turned into much more than
a process to interview candidates. It is an opportunity to showcase our
program in order to recruit the best and brightest into the AVC community.

Regards,

Greg Keefe, DVM MSc MBA
Dean
Atlantic Veterinary College, University of Prince Edward Island

*Amazing Small Animal Veterinary Dentistry Opportunity for Students:*

AVC DVM students have the opportunity to register for an online course in
Basic Small Animal Denstistry including 24 hours of modular content
developed by Sandra Manfra Marretta, DVM, DACVS, DAVDC and supported by the
Foundation for Veterinary Dentistry (FVD). There are 8 modules and students
will receive a course completion certificate. The course also includes PDF
content that you may download and retain as valuable reference for clinical
practice.

   - In order to register, students must be members of the AVC Veterinary
   Dentistry Club which is a student chapter of the FVD - contact Christina
   Bell (chbell at upei.ca) in the Class of 2020 for more information.
   - Cost is $40 US and students can pay through a secure online
   registration page at www.veterinarydentistry.org.
   - Registration is open now until *December 22, 2017*.
   - The course will begin in the spring semester.

*CVMA Symposium at AVC - Looking for Volunteer Billets:*

The CVMA ​
Symposium is fast approaching, and we are looking for volunteer billets for
our visiting students. The only requirements are that they have 1.) a place
to sleep, 2.) access to washroom facilities, and 3.) transportation or
assistance with public transportation to and from AVC. If you have an extra
place to sleep that you wouldn't mind sharing for three nights (January 11,
12, and 13), this would be a great way to meet students from other schools!

If you are interested, please email Karie at karie.bryenton at gmail.com with
your contact information (including address), the number of sleeping spaces
you have available, and your preference for male or female. Thank you very
much!

*Pancake Breakfast - Wednesday, November 29th (8:00 - 10:00 am):*
[image: Inline image 1]

--
Lisa Heron
Academic and Student Affairs