[Avc2021] Open House Info

Karen Roche kroche at upei.ca
Tue Sep 5 09:28:32 ADT 2017

Hello all!

I hope everyone had a wonderful summer! I know it feels a bit chaotic with
so many things happening in the next few months, but as most of you know
AVC's 29th annual Open House is fast approaching on September 30th! For
those of you who have not yet experienced this event, it is held every year
as an opportunity to connect with the community and offer an inside view of
what goes on at a busy veterinary college. It is put on by students,
faculty, and staff, and includes lots of family-friendly activities,
exhibits, live animal demonstrations, community organizations, and more. It
is free to the public and attracts a large crowd-generally around 3,000
people! It requires some work and coordination, but it is an extremely
gratifying experience and a chance to show our pride in what we do!

This year (a little differently than we've done it in the past) we would
like to have one or two people from each year to act as the point person
for their class activities. This role would require a short weekly meeting
with the planning committee to discuss progress and brainstorm new ideas,
and communication between the planning committee and their respective
classes. Hopefully this will improve coordination of events and ensure
everything runs as smoothly as possible!! I am hoping to have this in place
by this *Friday, September 8th. *Once each class has discussed,
representatives please just send me an email letting me know who you are!

As a reminder, each class is responsible for a few specific
activities-beyond these, you are welcome to add any *approved* activities
or fundraisers that you wish!

*First Years: *Face painting, balloon animals, anatomy lab (Don't panic!
Once your exec is elected I will coordinate with them and give you more
information) :)
*Second Years: *Dog parade, beagle park, mini zoo
*Third Years: *Teddy bear clinic, gowning and gloving
*Fourth Years: *We would love to have you participate-contact me if you
have ideas!

Finally, if anybody has a therapy dog (or knows of someone who does) who
would like to have them at Open House and explain a little bit about their
training and what they do, please let me know.

Phew! Sorry for the long email! Please feel free to contact me if you have
any questions or suggestions!

All the best,

*Sarah K. Lynch*
sklynch at upei.ca
DVM Candidate 2019~Atlantic Veterinary College
Zoetis Canada-AVC Student Representative
Royal Canin Canada-AVC Student Veterinary Representative
Society of Atlantic Veterinary Students-Public Relations Representative